Saturday, October 10, 2009

2009-2010 Convention notes....

My conventions season is over! So now, a treat: A note about the top things I learned and memories to go with it of my 2009 convention tour. And then the top 5 goals for 2010 Convention season.

TOP 6 things I learned

1-Heroes Con is a GREAT con! Lots of friends and fun. Well worth the drive.
2-Prints are worth doing. TOTALLY! (so are sketchbooks!)
3-Backdrops make an attractive table. So do prices on things, clearly marked and all the same color.
4-You need at least $2,000 to go to San Diego and have a decent time. (that includes air and hotel, splitting a room with someone.)
5-Introduce yourself to everyone if you can. I've made some new great friends this year.
6-Bring your A+ game to auction pieces.

TOP 10 favorite memories
1-Hanging with Katie Cook, Pinson, Leen all at the Wonderworld signing.
2-Driving to North Carolina with Tim. Long car rides there and back.
3-Spending time with Anthony and Tim. Fuel Pizza!
4-Seeing Brooks kiss Tim while sitting on his lap. and Walters calling Tim's work "crap." and Michael Jordan in the bar. And some face time with Denham. All great heroes moments.
5-Uhura sitting with us at our table in San Diego.
6-Drinking/deep talking with Grant and Brian at the Marriott.
7-Interacting with Lee live in person. and Andy/Jaime's dramatic re-inacting of what WASN'T in the Avatar footage.
8-Driving with Dean to Pittsburgh Con.
9-Selling really well at both shows I exhibited at. Moreso for Pittsburgh.
10-Walking the streets of San Diego. Always in awe that I was actually in California for the first time! a dream come true! Also, dinners/drinks with Mike and Jim were awesome!


Top goals for 2010
1-BACKDROP! Make one, get it behind my table. No excuses, do it dammit!
2-finish ANNA POCOLYPSE and print it for Con Season.
3-Finish OUTCAST and print it for Con Season.
4-Meet new people and keep in touch with everyone I know.
5-Do FOUR or more shows instead of TWO.
6-Get back into oil painting finally.
7-Make $$$ back at every show.
8-Keep cultivating passionate users back to me, my work and my website.
9-Make and post more videos about my work and convention experiences.
10-Take my family with me as much as I can to shows. I get homesick without them!

Favorite Artists I followed throughout the year:
Katie Cook, Grant Gould, Jim Mahfood, Brian Stelfreeze, Amanda Conner, Matt Zolman, Joel Carrol, Jay Fosgitt, Chris Weston, Adam Hughes, David Lafuente and many others.

Cons I'll probebly hit next year as an exhibitor:
1-Pittsburgh (april)
2-Motor City (may)
3-Heroes (June?)
4-and one more. A new one I've never done. Maybe somewhere south.

T

No comments: