Saturday, February 23, 2019

Why I do all of this


I was actually thinking about his quote the other day. Too often we lose sight of why we got into the arts in the first place. Sure it is possible to make money, but its a long shot. And its VERY hard work. Lonely work. Obsessive work. Everyone judges you. Everyone wants a piece of you... and for very little. Everyday is a struggle and wait by the mailbox to hope you can eat and pay rent. Everyday its emailing and calling, asking for your money owed or trying to find new ways to make your bread. You are regarded as expendable, easy to manipulate and "not as good" as this person or that other person.

But being an artist (whatever your medium) is the gift of reflection of humanity. Its why we are what we are. So we can create, tell stories, expand the visions of what is possible. It reflects the beautiful exchange of experience and a voice between the art created and the person who observes it. It creates emotion. It creates a mood, exchanges information, it gives opinion, it reflects us and who we are, who we were or who can be.

In modern terms, you could say, I never "made it." I'm not rich and famous on what I've done so far. I've eeked by slowly. I've spent countless nights alone writing, drawing, etc. I can look to my left and see a shelf filled with books. Many books filled with characters I created, stories I wrote and let loose on the world. Some sold okay, others sold great! Some sold not at all. And all of that is okay. As a result of those efforts I put forth, I've been able to meet some of the greatest people on the face of this planet. I've had people all over the world buy my stuff and reach back to say "thank you." I'm humbled anyone even saw my things I've done at all. Words fail to express how much it all means to me. I sell one book or one million books... it never mattered to me. Being "famous" never mattered to me. But the honor of getting to be a part of it, to give back to the big book of humanity, or even just to entertain someone for 20 minutes while they are taking a dump, its a worthy life to have lived.

My soul has indeed grown far beyond my wildest dreams as a kid. I wouldn't trade what I am now or what I've done and created for anything. Characters like Mortin and Lucas, Anna and Starslam are all as real as my own children are to me. And I'm glad people out there care about them too. And I'm filled with zeal with every blog read number, every podcast download number and every book purchase from me. I'm grateful. So grateful.

Thats why I say, Thanks for giving me a great life. And listen to Kurt here. Pursue the dream. Chase the whimsy. Go into the arts. Whatever your craft is. Own it. Chase it. Always climb and always dance. Don't have time? Of course you do. You have LIFE TIME. Make it a priority. Find the time and do your thing. Money? Doesn't matter. But doing it makes you the richest person in the world.

Dream on, ADAM T.

No comments: