Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Top 5 things I wish I were already into

An interesting list to entertain you all today. I've been thinking about things that my friends are into and how on some common ground, I have missed the boat on some of them. Here is a list of the top five things that I wish I grew up with enjoying, so that I can have the fond memories and experience of these things now, as they do.

1. Godzilla movies - I know people who are way into this. The only ones I've seen are the ones from MST3K. Godzilla and Gamera. They have their own charm and it is interesting. But now there are over 30 movies and its intimidating to start anywhere to enjoy them. I did see Godzilla 2000 in the theater though. Perhaps the only Godzilla movie I've ever seen in a serious way.

2. Hammer Horror Movies - I watched most of the classic monster movies when I was a kid. But the Hammer Horror Remakes I totally missed out on. Unfortunately, alot of them are hard to find. And I find them intimidating as well. There are a lot of different Dracula and Frankenstien movies with this English studio. I would like to see some of the best ones though. Especially ones that feature Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

3. Anime - This is a big one. I really haven't checked out a whole lot. I've never seen Robotech or anything major in this catagory. I've only seen half of Akira and don't really remember much about it. I saw parts of Vampire Hunter D and Ghost in the Shell. The only thing I've seen and own is Cowboy Bebop and I do enjoy that. I don't know what is holding me back from enjoying anime. It just is large and extremely intimidating. I don't know where to start. There's all sorts of different releases and versions and opinions over english subtitles or dubbing. I just can't sort it all out. but it does appeal to me in some way.

4. Horror Hosts - This is one I've been thinking about a lot recently. There are a ton of horror hosts out there currently and in the past. I grew up in central Michigan and didn't really have one locally that I could have enjoyed. They are hard to find in any area I live now too. The concept is almost lost to me. I guess my "horror host" was MST3K. But I still desire to be a part of that movement and enjoy schlocky horror movies with a funny host on local cable access. In detroit I know there is Wolfman Mac. Perhaps when I move to Lansing, I can see some of it.

5. D&D - I never grew up around it like some of my friends did. I didn't even know what it was really. the closest I got was playing a game called HEROQUEST once with a pal of mine. I remember really enjoying the hell out of that. Then years later I learned of D&D but never knew anyone who played. But then I had a roommate in college who was huge into it. I played my first few games. It pissed my girlfriend off at the time because she was hyper religious and thought it was "satanic!" No shit. She stormed out one day cause we were playing it. Rediculous now that I think back to it. Anyway, my roommate Jon and I played quite a bit, even with a newer girlfriend who was way into it. For a few months we had weekly games and I even got to DM once. I really did enjoy it. But we never finished. I do have friends here and there that still play. But I am way out of the loop on version preference, the "proper" rules and the mores of the culture and game. I am interested to play it again and check it out with a clearer mind. I may have opportunities to do so in Lansing when we move. I am looking forward to the possibilities.

Anyway, thats my TOP 5 THINGS I WISH I WERE REALLY INTO list. Do you have things you wish you were into? Or have suggestions for me on the above things on where to start? email me at phymns@yahoo.com and give me some thoughts.

Cheers, T

2 comments:

ChaosMandy said...

Some good animes: Death Note, Bleach, Hellsing

D&D is pretty easy to play if you have a good DM - I've never been way into the rules, and most DM's will help you if you are first starting out.

Mike Leuszler: Host said...

D & D can be a lot to handle going into it. I suggest checking out FUDGE, which has several good fantasy gaming rule sets that aren't as rules heavy.