Sunday, August 28, 2016

Move Achieved!

Whew! I got wifi up and running so I can finally blog. We're officially moved into our new home here in East Lansing!

The move itself, sucked. I knew it would. Last time I moved my stuff, I was 50 pounds lighter. So I knew my being severely out of shape would hamper how much I could physically help. I share that with a lot of shame but confident that we are working to change it. So most of the moving relied on Kitty D's strength. With her stuff finally added to mine, we had quite the pile to get through.

See? Both our lives in one big ass pile!

I've been preparing for this move for a few months now. I hate living in boxes. I really do.  We got our keys Friday morning and moved over some stuff we didn't want to get damaged in the move. Tv's, Comp, etc. Saturday was the big tuna. We rented a 15' Uhaul and started loading at 9am. Around 10:00 my pal Jacob came and man was he a lifesaver! He brought all the boxes down as we loaded them. Then Kitty D's friend Kyle showed up and then we doubled our efforts. We did all this as it was constantly raining! That kind of sucked, but kept it cool as we went about our work. We got the truck fully loaded at 11:45. Record time, I thought! I cannot thank them boys enough!

After that, the 30 minute drive to East Lansing, where we started unloading the truck. Around 1pm, my pals Damian and AC showed up and man were they bringing it! By this time, Kitty D and I were totally destroyed from moving all day. But they came and really got us going. We got everything unloaded by around 3:45. It was awesome! Again, still raining but then it finally let up toward the end, natch. I cannot thank them enough either.

I took a mini bath in the sink because we couldn't find the shower curtain yet and did a much needed change of clothes. Then we drove and dropped the Uhaul off and hit up Harrys for some food. We actually had not ate anything all day! So eating something was quite welcome.

We came home and started tackling the unpacking. She napped for a bit while I set up my comp and desk area. Then we tackled the bedroom.

DVDs, NES games and Blu-rays! The nerve center for all things US!

Still so much to get through. About 75% of these boxes are books!
We got the bedroom mostly set up and unpacked the kitchen. Today I am going to be working on the living room and making this place feel like home.

Next weekend I got the kids Sunday-Monday as I have Labor Day off. I will be celebrating their birthdays with them in one shot to save time. So either today or tomorrow I gotta head out and look for presents for them. Once I get everything set up I'll share some more pictures and all that.

I'm glad this move is done. Its weighed heavily on my mind. And there are aspects to it that aren't exactly ideal and some minor disappointments to the new place, in all honestly, I like it. Its laid out exactly like my old place over here was a year ago. In some ways it feels like I never left. I guess I wanted to recapture that feeling in some way. Like here is my new home. Fresh new start.

2016 has been a rough year so far. I don't need to recap it for you. But this move to me represents a clean slate/fresh start that I sorely need right now. I want to get back to a rhythm to re-drop the weight I have gained and get my head back into finishing my projects in comics and writing. I got no excuses now. Kitty D and I are going to make many great memories here. Definitely going to make the most of our time here and just enjoy it as we can. We got a plan to emerge from here a year later as better people in many ways. But for now, I will continue to open up the boxes that contain my life and find new homes for them.... preparing for what is to come.

Let's kick some ass here in East Lansing!

p.s. Fuck moving.

---T

No comments: