Friday, April 14, 2017

Random Things That I Am Excited About + General Gripings and Updates

Hello friends! I haven't had a lot of free time to podcast or write a blog here for a few days. My day job schedule has been up and down with covering vacations and now new training on some new skills. I'll be doing that all summer. So far the new stuff is not hurting my brain too much and it really is helping me advance my skills and abilities in the world of graphic design to more modern industry standards. In every job I've ever had, I always strive to be a "backbone" to the place. After many places treating me like shit and asshole customers/co-workers, its a relief to be somewhere that I actually like going to, get along with everyone and I can expand my knowledge and skill set. There are problems, sure... but I rarely deal with them directly. Now I probably will a bit more, but that's okay. I think I can bring a lot to the table. In not just skills but attitude in dealing with the problems.

On the health front, diet is still at a stand-still. And my carpal tunnel is still in full swing. Its got to the point that even as I am typing here, my right hand will just randomly go numb for a few seconds and then go back to normal. I dismantled my upright art desk and got a smaller flat table to draw at. This will help things a bit. I got a brace as well and do daily hand and arm exercises. But gripping things, pulling up things with my right hand does cause pain. I guess its just something I will have to live with now. (Good thing I jerk it with my LEFT hand! TMI...)

The good news is that it doesn't seem to effect my drawing too much. This week I inked two commissions and SEVEN new pages on Starslam 3! I got back some new colored pages from Andy and once again, the dude killed it! We're becoming a well oiled train now and ramping up production on this book. I am hoping that by after summer I will have a clear picture of when we can do a Kickstarter for it. Also I am still working on Pleasant Life 2 pages (randomly) and pages for the short Patreon stories. Its all rolling along. Its a nice creative outlet for me.

--- KITTIES! ---

I'm happy to report that all three have their eyes open now and are randomly deciding to crawl out of their crib and explore. Still VERY shakey and nervous, but cute as hell! We seem to have found homes for all of them, so that is good. It will be hard to see them go.

Things from my pop-culture front:

Today, the first new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 hits Netflix. They raised a lot of cash via a Kickstarter two years ago and now here it is. Patton Oswalt plays a character too. I've been a fan since I saw the show on Comedy Central back in 1990. Then Dean loaned me his tapes back in college and I fell in love with more episodes I have never seen by that time. I now own all the first 5 seasons and random other ones. I still haven't seen EVERY episode, especially the ones from when the show went to the Sci Fi channel, but that is ok. I've seen the best and know the best. And this new guy, Jonah, I love from the Nerdist Podcast. He will do great. It premiered on Netflix today and I will spend some time this weekend and next week digging through them. Its great to know that no matter how much time passes, I can still relive my favorite stuff from the past all over again. Cause the best stuff always comes back!

I feel like I am toy crazy lately. I pretty much got all the DVDs/BluRays I want, so now I've shifted attention back to CDs, Toys and Games. I picked up another Jedi Luke last night (my favorite version of Luke Skywalker) and I'm scouring ebay for some lost gems from my youth. Mostly window shopping for now. Cannot go too crazy with money right now. But I'm always on the lookout for CD special editions of my favorite albums as well. And on the video game front, there will be a cool Disney collection coming next week which will have a copy of DUCK TAILS 2 on it! (Rare to get on the NES) Unfortunately, I was dealt the harsh news that Nintendo is halting production on the NES CLASSIC... I never got one unfortunately. They went on sale in Nov 2016, and scalpers scoop them up in stores for $60 and flip them on ebay for stupid money. Now they will go even higher. I am VERY resistant to their bullshit so fuck it, I will just go buy all the cartridges for those classic games for my NES. Might as well, since I'm spending the same amount of cash. But then I am also investing in my collection and not some asshole's pockets. I scored a few random gems on my recent trip to Midland/Saginaw and that has me hyped up for some gaming.

I just learned that Trainspotting 2 is finally in Lansing! So I will go see that maybe this weekend. Necessary. Been waiting to see this flick for a while now.

I'm planning a trip to go see my dad in May. Then I will be back in Illinois (Chicago area) in June for Exxxotica Con. So, exciting things are on the horizon. Right now its just the daily grind to get through and the worries over my car randomly acting up. I drive it across town every day, sometimes twice. That gets hard on a 20 year old vehicle. I hope the thing its doing now isn't too expensive. :(

Anyway, just thought I'd give a general update on everything in my world. Much love to you all!

--T


1 comment:

Caleb & Jen said...

Seven new Starslam pages? Man, you're rocking your way through this, and you're so nonchalant about it. Great work. I'm very excited to see how this one shakes out.