Thursday, June 15, 2017

Remembering Adam West (and other things)

Hey friends. Been a busy week as always. My sleep is all jacked up again but I think I've finally got myself in a nice routine... but that won't last, of course. I'm just so uncoordinated and cloudy lately. I fell at work this week. Just was bending over to pick something up, lost my footing somehow and tumbled backward into a hard wall. I got a big bruise on my head and my arm:

Ouchie!

There were fears of a concussion... but my big ol' head took the most of the impact and I came out fine. I might not remember the piano lessons anymore, but that's okay.

It is HOT here in Michigan! Monday it was 92 degrees! I've been sitting in ball soup everyday. Its causing heat rashes under my huge belly. (But I'm down 14 pounds now!) But even the cats are feeling the heat:


I was blessed by the art gods of a not so sore hand when I attempted to draw this week. I was able to squeeze five new Starslam pages out! I think I found a good way to work that isn't so taxing on my hand, and that is to work smaller. Instead of 10x15, I do the pages on 10x6.5. For some pics and scenes I'll go bigger but its helping me cut my workload down a bit. Last week I got 8 pages in on the other erotica project. About 15 more and that is done. Then I just gotta color/balloon all of it and then assemble it together. Home stretch, right? I keep getting newly colored pages back from Andy as well. I'm so thrilled with his coloring choices on the pages I give him. He sees things I didn't think about doing. For example:

I didn't think to make the floor a wooden one, or to add mirrors in the background! And leaving him the choices to make on what colors something should be is such a treat to get back and see! Its like reading a comic I didn't draw!
And speaking of STARSLAM, if you go back in my Twitter page a week or so, you'll see some exclusive NSFW Starslam pages I teased. Warning: SPOILERS! (and boobs, dicks and other things)

I'm having a rough week as far as "thinky pain" as I call it. Just random depression hitting me and then I go back up the slope and I'm okay again. I'm trying to keep myself distracted but just life and exhaustion and the heat start to take its toll. I was reading today about an artist I'm familiar with whose liver is failing and its likely he won't make it to Christmas. I wasn't this guy's biggest fan for a few reasons, but it makes me feel sad for him and his family. No one should have to go through the things he is going through with that and other health shit going on. My friend Anna was re-approved for her Kidney Transplant surgery. I know she goes through a lot as well. Everywhere I turn there is good news/bad news. But sometimes it comes back around to good again. It helps me keep a smile on and gives me hope.

However, this last weekend was some bad news:


The exclusive ADAM CLUB lost our president. A devastating loss to my personal pop culture world. When I was a kid, BATMAN became a big thing in 1989 with the upcoming release of the Tim Burton movie. Before it came out in the summer, Nick at Nite started running Batman 1960's TV Show marathons and that is where I first got my taste of Adam. I loved the show as a kid and that is where my love with The Riddler came from. I got to meet Frank Gorshin later in life before he died. I never got to meet Adam. I was near him a couple times when I was at shows, but I never bothered to get in line and get something signed. I think back again to when I was a kid and that spring/summer of 1989. My mom rented BATMAN THE MOVIE (60s, again) and taped it onto Betamax for me. I would come home from school and fry up some home made potato wedges and watch the movie. I must have watched that movie 50 times that year and into the 1990s. It was one of my first cheap Blu-ray purchases. I can recite the whole thing. Recently they FINALLY released the series on DVD/BR... I haven't bought it yet. Just been busy and don't have time to really sit down for it. As an adult it reads campy and farcical. But still, I should take the time to do it. It was my era of TV. STAR TREK was on Tv. As well as LOST IN SPACE and GET SMART.

Years later, I would enjoy Adam in random B/D movies like "Maxium Xul" or "The Happy Hooker." And then he popped up on this little cartoon I got into called "Family Guy." Everytime he was on screen in that show he was a hoot. A whole new generation was being turned onto him and his unique humor. I loved it. I haven't kept up with the show every much lately, but maybe I will trek back and see what new things he did on there.

This one sucks. I know within the next ten years a lot of my heroes will most likely be going too. Favorite actors, childhood heroes, favorite musicians... I'm getting to that age. It sucks. But at least they all leave behind a body of work to be loved and cherished for all time. And I'm thankful I got to live at the same time as some of these people. Its an amazing time to be alive and I wouldn't trade it for any other era. And before I climb the bat-rope to the heavens myself, I will sit back and enjoy what they leave behind. Thank you Mr. Mayor, Mr. West, Mr. Wayne, Batman, Adam We... You will be greatly missed.

Okay, barring any major things to happen, I'm going to get back to work. I might be quieter than usual and that is because I'm trying to beat a deadline here. I will come back soon with some great stuff to share. In my silence don't think I'm not doing anything... I'm doing plenty!

Cheers, T




No comments: