Thursday, June 08, 2017

TOOL Concert review

Hey friends!

So I finally saw TOOL for the first time in my life and it was a killer show. How could it not be, right? The opening band wasn't that good, but the show TOOL put on more than made up for it. The drinks were way overpriced, which is to be expected. But all in all, we had a good time. Pics speak louder than words, don't you think?

I always try to get a ticket for the souvenir book. I have almost 30 now I think.

D got all dressed up. She NEVER lets me take a picture of her without her doing something goofy, so this is as best as I could get. Still, she looked very pretty. Had to document that.

We decided to go to Clarkston early and try this BBQ place called "Union Woodshop." D reports that they have the best potato salad and baked mac n' cheese. My plate consisted of more unhealthy choices and pulled pork! But I ended up taking half of it home. Very delicious!

Being idiots in the garden before the show.

Can we ever just take a "nice" picture?
There were signs all around and the security was VERY adamant that there was no video or photos allowed in the venue. Therefore, I didn't chance taking any pics of audio of my own. I didn't want to get kicked out. I'm not much of a rule breaker. Besides: My iphone camera usually turns out shitty pics anyway. So here are a few shots that others took and uploaded of the show: 

AWESOME back screen light show.


Maynard (of course) sings from the back of the stage in shadow. So there he is on the left.


The highlight for me was seeing (but mostly hearing due to an obstructed view) Danny's drum solo after the intermission. He is one of my top five favorite modern drummers. I cannot find video online of the solo yet, but I'm sure some will pop up.

I did find this video of their closing song: STINKFIST and at the end of the show, Danny comes out wearing a Pistons jersey. And then Adam Jones brings out his little kid and waves to the audience. It was a rare sight to see anything slighty "human" from that band! Here's the video:



As far as anything political said, here's what Maynard had to say:

"Home. (he's from Michigan)
Anyone here from CMU? (I clap a bit) How about Wolverines? (Meaning UofM) Any Spartans out there? (meaning MSU) Spartans, how do you feel about the Wolverines? (People boo) Wolverines, how do you like the Spartans? (People boo) One common word that is missing from all those things is "Michigan." (Everyone cheers.) You see? Some common ground. Now apply that same concept to this thing called: EARTH. (everyone cheers loudly) Ignorance is the enemy."

All in all, it was a good time and I'm glad I finally got to see them. Next time I think I will bring my own alcohol in instead of paying $20 for two shot glasses full of frozen daqueri. I think we paid mostly for the big straws that came with it. But anyway, here's hoping there's a new TOOL album soon and we can relive it all again.

--T


No comments: