Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Transatlantic Concert pics

My pal Tim Ham (hammsterwheel.com) and I went to see Transatlantic in concert in downtown chicago. The venue was this super nice old vaudaville theater and there was seating and beer. Very nice.

You can view three quick videos I shot HERE AT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL. No audio on those cause my camera sucks! Sorry.


Here are some pics:



---Me meeting one of my idols, drummer Mike Portnoy!






It was a progressive rock concert lasting over 3 hours and it was highly impressive. I really had a great time. Its gonna be hard to top that concert experience with U2 later this year. Although I note that a U2 concert is a slightly different cookie than this would be considered.

What impressed me was how well the band gelled together and the venue itself. And afterwards, the band came out and signed/met the fans. all of the band. It was highly impressive. They didn't have to do that, especially Mike Portnoy, who is probably the most famous of them all, and it was his birthday. And the band just played a three hour set complete with post california flight jet-lag. They all looked wore out as hell. But it was deeply cool for us fans that stuck around after. Those guys are class acts.

If you folks are into progressive rock or are interested at all in listening to Transatlantic, check out their website: HERE and for you metal fans, check out Mike Portnoy's other band, DREAM THEATER HERE.

Thanks guys for an awesome night and millions of thanks to muh pal Tim who had to do the driving and dealing with my ass. Much love.

T

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude...looks like a great show...very intimate. I am going in NYC Friday. Do you recall what time they hit the stage? Was there a warm up band? In NY the tickets say doors open at 7 pm but I don't know what thatmeans exactly.

Phymns said...

sorry, I didn't see your questions till sat. morning! Hope it was a good show for ya! As I recall, the show started a tad after 7, no warm up band. Just three hours of TRANSATLANTIC. Our doors opened at 6 and show started at 7. Gave us time to buy stuff and order a beer. thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Do you know Mike Portnoy while wearing what brand you take a picture?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Do you know Mike Portnoy while wearing what brand when you take a picture with him?

Unknown said...

and it was during a concert where and when?