Monday, June 21, 2010

TOP SCORES LISTS

Just for the fun of it, a Movie Score blog I wrote a while back but haven't posted it yet. (I do some of these blogs ahead of time as writing exercises before I write dialog or scripts to the comics I do. Just to clear my head and warm up my hands!)

TOP 15 INDIVIDUAL TRACKS FROM SCORES I LOVE (no order)

1-Now we are Free – GLADIATOR –A wonderful song and the first song where I noticed how awesome Hans Zimmer can be.
2-Farawell Ten-DOCTOR WHO: THE END OF TIME – This song is not commercially released yet, but I have a clean copy of the music from the scene where the tenth doctor regenerates into the eleventh and its sad, bombastic, Wagnarian and epic sounding. Might be the best song in all of Doctor Who’s history.
3-This is Galifrey: Our Childhood, Our Home – DOCTOR WHO SEASON THREE – This is the song that plays when the Master “dies” in the Doctor’s arms. Its just a sad song that sort of says to you, “So it goes.”
4-Alone in the Ring – ROCKY – Its very short but captures the best of Bill Conti’s Rocky score in it. Each note from the piano is practically punched into your heart, achingly slow. I just love this track. Wish it were longer. His Mickey’s Theme is good too.
5-Duel of the Fates – STAR WARS EPISODE I – Say what you want about the prequals, but one good thing they brought us was more John Williams’ scores. And this song was beat into my head the millions of times I cleaned the theater after people saw it. It just gets you going and makes you want to get into a lightsaber fight yourself.
6-Concerning Hobbits – LOTR: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING – When you first hear this theme, you know watching LOTR for the first time that the soundtrack is what you are going to buy the minute you leave the theater.
7-The Bridge of Khazad Dum – LOTR: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING – Again, just awesome. And the deep Pacific Islander male voices he got to back up this track, along with the drums just hits you good.
8-Evenstar – LOTR: TWO TOWERS – Sadness.
9-First Contact Main theme – STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT – I remember when I bought this album shortly after seeing the flick and how much I loved that main title opening theme. Its just great. Maybe the best Goldsmith song in all of Trek history.
10-Ilia’s Theme – STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE – Another Goldsmith great. I loved the fact that the Motion Picture opened up with that song over a starfield, as an overture. It really prepares you for a movie that’s not as action oriented, but a real musical feast.
11-Superman Main Title – SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE – This is possibly John William’s greatest creation. The entire Superman movie score is just tops. From this unforgettable and easily singable main theme to the love theme. It just rocks.
12-Somewhere in Time – SOMEWHERE IN TIME – John Barry. He did great on the 007 theme, and this I think tops even that. It brings me to tears each time I hear it. Just wonderful. So much so, that the wife and I adopted it as our song. So each time I hear it, I think of her. Making it doubly emotional for me.
13-Prelude For War – BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON TWO – Bear McCready’s drums are the stars of this one. Love this track. Really gets you going.
14-Enterprising Young Men – STAR TREK (2009) – I love the new Trek movie score. I hate the titles of the song on it though! But this track, sums up the movie score all in one. Its good. Although I prefer the slow version of the main theme in the opening of the film, this one does it good justice.
15-Battle of the Heroes – STAR WARS: EPISODE III – Again, the best thing from the prequals was the music and this one is just epic. Its loud, sad and angry all at once. A conflict of emotions resides in the music, as you know the characters too. Its like the Pieta of music, where you sort of reside into the fatal tragedy of what is to come. The song might not have as much an impact like that if we didn’t already know the outcome of Anakin as a character in the next movies. Maybe my favorite STAR WARS related track.

Now best scores and its quite obvious for me:

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE
SUPERMAN
STAR WARS V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
STAR WARS VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI
STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN
MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
THE DARK KNIGHT
STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

No comments: