Monday, July 05, 2010

Givin' some love to Dave Stevens

I know. I will called a HUGE IDIOT after you read this, but read on.

I never read THE ROCKETEER back in the day. Never. I saw the movie as a kid, sure. And I had a poster of it in my room, not realizing it actually was a Dave Stevens piece of art at all. It was the grey streaking poster with the Rocketeer jumping through the middle of it. I really dug the Rocketeer as a kid but never knew there was a comic. Or if I knew there was, I had no way to get ahold of it back then cause there were no comic shops locally.

Years later, Dave Stevens leaves us and they decide to re-release THE ROCKETEER as a collection in a nice hardbound volume with new colors. Everyone was excited about it and I was excited cause I remembered my love for the movie back in the day. It came out and I kept putting off buying it. But about three weeks ago, I finally did get it.




I read it in one sitting. Cover to cover. And I've poured over it since then. I am sooooooo sooooooo sorry I never got into Dave Stevens' art before this. Actually, I had seen alot of it already. I've seen most of the Bettie Page images he had done. But as far as his sequential work, no, I never have. And man, what a damn treat! And Laura Martin's colors in this collection make this thing shine like a muthafucka! If you are at all curious, liked the movie THE ROCKETEER or are a fan of sequential art in general, please pick up this Rocketeer collected edition. Its well worth the price! Its probably my best comic book purchase this year, next to the Adam Hughes DC Artbook collection. It is absolutely stunning.

I wish I could have met Dave, or could see some of his work close up. I got a new favorite artist to add to my list folks. (And please, don't hate me cause I am just now getting into it. I am usually late to the table with everything else, so this should come as no surprise!) Dave Stevens, you fuckin' rocked it sir.

Gonna leave you all with a few more images he rocked and make you all jealous as hell at what he could do. Enjoy!





No comments: