Sunday, July 25, 2010

Thoughts part 81

Been busy on ANNA pages. I completed 4 this weekend and a couple other drawings. Not bad for having limited time and keeping up with all the cool comic con happenings.

Speaking of comics, I had something odd happen to me yesterday. The wife and I were having our weekly conversation of how I am never happy at a job I work, and how miserable I am where we live. And she said I should just open my own business. I said "I have my own business. Idiothead.com." "No, I mean, open your own comic book store!"

I froze at the thought. Own my own business? Could I really do that? In this area? And all these thoughts started buzzing in my head. What would a store I ran look like? What business could it do? Where would it be located?

I'll admit the idea certainly is appealing. Be my own boss. Work around things I love. and I'll definitely admit that I am flattered that my wife thinks I could do it. Her confidence in me and my abilities certainly have me excited at the THOUGHT of doing it. But will I, COULD I do it?

I guess that depends on many factors. I'd have to find a good location. Downtown St. Joseph is the most ideal one. Making it kid friendly and family oriented is the main idea I have for it. Would I sell just comics? Or add games, cards, toys, clothes and video games to it? Plus, what would it look like as far as layout and the like? And could I secure a bank loan to get the business started?

There's alot of things to think about and consider. I certainly have the drive and knowledge of the craft and content to make it work. And I've worked registers and sales positions all my life. I guess what I will do is research and really determine if its something I can do. Its risky, for sure. The market is in such flux right now. The business would have to thrive on customer loyalty and the interest in getting kids/longtime customers elsewhere to switch and be interested in what I am doing.

Well, it certainly is something to think about. Not something I ever considered seriously before. But the idea that my wife is confident that I can do it, alone is worth indulging my brain into. So, I suppose its worth looking into. and I'll leave it into fate's hands. If its meant that I do this, then things will connect.

I guess TO BE CONTINUED on this. Its a huge gamble and a huge undertaking. But as a hero of mine once said: "Risk! Risk is our business!"

Stay tuned.

T

No comments: