Monday, July 26, 2010

SD Comic Con 2010 thoughts, Ioffer and more....

Well, San Diego Comic Con 2010 is over. Muh peeps are all headed home or have made it home. I cannot wait to hear the stories that happened during the nights there, as I can remember, they can be doozies! And I'll experience it all again next year hopefully. Just some thoughts on news announced there:

--They announced NEW Rocketeer stories on the way from varied talent. I'm for that, but the art better be awesome! Get people that really have a love of what Dave Stevens did to it and I think it will do well.

--Congrats to Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard on their Eisner wins. Well deserved. Seems that THE WALKING DEAD was all over the comic con, with the premiere of the AMC preview and all that. (Search youtube to find) I cannot wait for this show to start. Finally, a reason to watch TV once again. For you zombie fans, you are seriously in for a treat. And again, if you've never given the book a read, please do. Order them through Amazon.com for cheap!

--A pal of mine scored the newest Adam Hughes con sketchbook for me, and a book called "Fuck you, box" by Katie Cook. They are shipping to my house as I type this. I'll let you all know what I think of them when I get them. Right now they are going on ebay for quite a bit. Thanks to JJ Torres for scoring them for me. I love ya boo!

--Avengers cast announced and Joss Whedon announced as director. Well, I am not a huge Avengers fan but all the Marvel zombies seem to me excited about it. So awesome news for you guys. Yay!

--Don't go into Hall H without a shield to prevent pens stabbing you in the eye.

--Fuck the Westboro Babtist Church for trying to picket the con. And great job to those who organized the protest of the protest. Great idea and some great signs, guys!

It seems like some other things were announced that I dug, but I cannot remember what they are right now. So I guess all in all, SDCC 2010 was a huge success once again. Maybe I'll be there next year, maybe not. Depends on lots of factors. But I will go once again. And so should you. Its the time of your life. Trust me.



I discovered a new website called ioffer.com, similar to ebay, its just people selling things. And its the most obscure stuff ever. For example, I searched it for the most obscure movie I've been looking for forever. That being the 1982 TV movie "THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER" Starring Robert Hays, Ray Winstone and Martin Landau (above). And someone was selling a bootleg DVD copy of it! I got it for like, 8 bucks and its awesome, as scary as I remember. I got other obscure movies on ioffer that I am looking into buying next, but for now, I highly recommend this site. Especially if you are looking for rare, unreleased stuff. Not sure how legal these bootlegs are, but they are not commercially available. So I say, its fair game. Trust me, if they released a great version of USHER on dvd, I'd buy it in a millisecond.

No new developments on what I mentioned last time. I've been crunching numbers of supplies and store fixtures and what all I would carry. I have emails out to other dealers and store owners asking for advice. The major hurdles are securing the bank loan and finding the primo location. I also did research to be a diamond distributor, and that seems easy enough. I am just going to focus now on paying down bills at home and carefully planning/thinking about it. I wouldn't be renting a location or going for it in a serious manner until March-ish of next year. So I guess I'll keep you all updated as to if and when this would happen. But I will put out a call for you to come up with a possible name for the store. So far, the best I've got is "LAKESIDE COMICS"... since it would potentially be a block away from Lake Michigan. I like that, but want something a tad more nerdy/catchy/funny. Got anything?

I guess thats it. I got a ton of work shifts this week again for some reason. So I'll be in and out all week.

Cheers, T

No comments: