Monday, November 30, 2015

KING DIAMOND Concert Review

Hey my droogies... I saw KING DIAMOND this past weekend.

My brother is a massive fan and when I saw he was coming to Michigan, I proposed the idea of going. We're both really heavy into music and we've never seen a concert together. Seemed a shame, so we took advantage of it. My newphew Storm went with us. They got to sport vintage King shirts and leather jackets. They don't make leather in my size so I kept my Saxon shirt and army over shirt. Opening band was EXODUS:




It was old school trash metal at its finest. I don't know their songs super well but it was a great set. Very energetic. Good to know those boys can be doing that style of music well into their 50's. (And Gene Simmons said Rock is Dead? Not according to what I've seen!) A quick set change and King came on...





The stage was quite the elaborate set up. He opened with WELCOME HOME, which I know very well. You worry that a man who has had so many scary surgeries and is pushing 60.. can he belt out that same falsetto type of screaming vocals like he did 30 years ago? Well from the first scream of GRANNNNDDMAAAAAA!!!!!! I turned to my brother and he back and me and we knew we were in for a ride. 



After a couple King tunes, they did 3 Mercyful Fate songs which sounded great live. The band sounded tight and recreated very note and sound. Then they ran through the entire "ABIGAIL" album, which I am familiar with. I love concept albums. 




All in all it was a killer show. We had balcony seats and any seat in Detroit's Fillmore is a good seat. Great venue to see shows in. And now I can cross these bands off the list. If he comes into your area, I highly recommend seeing King Diamond if you are into that kind of music. They sound just like the album did 30 years ago. And us old fogies can still rock. This weekend proved that for me.

______________

Busy week ahead of some overtime at the day job and I have to push StarSlam 2 along. Wish me luck. Everyone be safe out there.

Cheers, T

No comments: