Friday, January 20, 2017

Channel it

Today is a day I've been dreading. Trump will be sworn in as our president.

Some of you might remember my thoughts on election night last November. If not, then CLICK HERE but suffice to say I wasn't pleased. I didn't want Clinton either. I wanted Bernie Sanders. But the Democrats did some shady shit and fucked him over on it.

This is all history and I don't want to relive it, honestly. It makes me feel disenfranchised by the whole thing. And I've seen it everyday... we're all pissed at each other. We label each other as Alt Right, or extreme Liberal, and then judge as such. Baiting and switching arguments. I've even got into a couple myself. Sometimes I cannot help it. Someone will say something so outlandish that I have to question it. What I get back is a bunch of slander and abusive ad hominums instead of addressing the argument. Cause I genuinely (and obviously) don't have my finger on the pulse of what is going on out there in the world. And I have many fears that the man sworn in today will be a complete sham. Not because memes or newsbites tell me so... but from honest research. Its all out there if you want to take a look.

But like it or not, he's becoming our president today. And I'm not happy about it. But it is what it is. I'll let history make its own judgements. And honestly, truly... I hope I am wrong. I hope that he comes in and jobs increase, our social issues get fixed, the poor are taken care of, another war is avoided, hell.. all the things that plague us now get fixed. We always have the puncher's chance of hope.

It has to be known that one man cannot be our savior. If we want change, we must start within and with each other. We must treat each other better. We gotta get louder about that change and our support for each other. We must CHANNEL what we feel into something. And that something, is our art.

We must do our best at what we do. Our job, our parenting, our writing, painting, drawing, playing or writing music, photography, knitting, cooking... everything that is art, make it our best. We must channel our feelings into these things. Not into each other. Make your voice known through your works and how you treat people.

Remember the old saying: "Actions speak louder than words." Well, lets make that happen. If you support Trump and are labeled as an extreme right racist asshole, show the world you're not. If you are an extreme left liberal whiny sore loser, show the world you're not. We can all "beat our swords into plow shears" as the bible says and be better people. For our neighbors, our loved ones and ourselves.

The man in Washington doesn't matter. We do. The works we produce matter. Whatever conduit we use to channel our anger, confusion or happiness, this matters. So make it about that and hope for the best from our representatives that were chosen this time around.

But always use caution: Research. Be weary of deceit. Someone will try to fuck us, always. Be mindful to protect yourself and your neighbors and loved ones. We'll get through this, together.

Channel your feelings into your art and your life. We will come out the other end. We will prevail. We will stand.

--T


No comments: