Monday, May 10, 2010

FRANK FRAZETTA RIP

EVery now and then someone comes along and shows us how its done. In illustration, there's a lot of names that come to mind. And undoubtedly at the tops of most serious illustrators' lists is one name: Frank Frazetta.



Frank passed away today at the age of 82. He leaves behind the memories and the works of a lifetime which will last and continue to influence artists for generations to come.



I first recall seeing his paintings on Molly Hatchet covers. While I wasn't super into his work, I certainly followed it and stood in awe saying "No way I could ever come close to being that good." But it fueled me enough to strive for that one day. Perhaps if one were to keep working, they could achieve some greatness. And then be blown away by awesome artists such as Frazetta. I am way into SPECTRUM and other books that feature fantasy art, hoping one day I can paint half as good as that. And let me tell you, whether they admit it or not, there's a little bit of Frank in every piece.



For me to sit here and list off his credits would be rediculous. You've seen his works before, guaranteed. and you've seen the artists he's influenced. He was just a God. Painting with fire, he was once compared as. I can think of nothing more fitting.



It is felt all across the artist world when one of our own passes and this one will hurt for a long time. Truly, a legend. Truly, one of a kind. Thank you for showing us how its done Frank Frazetta. I am glad you are now at peace.

T

No comments: