Thursday, August 19, 2010

INFLUENCES and other stuff

I posted this at my DEVIANTART PAGE but thought I would repost here and share:



Alot of my pals are doing this so I thought I would join. My own personal INFLUENCE MAP! Check it:
1-STEVE DILLON - The humor in his faces and reactions are what I love about his work. Also I really love his character looks. You know his work just by glancing at it. Very clean.
2-JIM MAHFOOD - When I was first starting out, I loved his work. It was very dark lined, expressive and had energy. He's since changed his style but I still dig it.
3-GIL ELVGREN - When I do pinups for prints or the like, I always gravitate to my longtime love for him.
4-ALAN MOORE - When I write, I think there's always a bit of his methods in here. For one, I take a script and break up the scenes and shuffle them like he does. Also, each story I do I make sure that there's always unerlying themes and subtlety. I really try to keep my dialog brief and not falling in love with my dialog too much. I keep it to the point and impactful, trying to find the perfect phrases. Alan Moore taught me that.
5-STANLEY KUBRICK - The dude did it his way and I think that fits me to a T. I am a huge fan of his work and often will repeat certain angles and do opening/closing parallels like he did. Also, he was a bit of a dirty bird, and I always try to put a bit of sex into what I do, cause Sex is in EVERYTHING. Yes it is.
6-EDUARDO RISSO - Someone who I got turned onto when I started doing comics seriously. And I still look to his panel layouts. He has such freedom when he works and its something I am always striving to capture. I love it when dialog in his work goes over a minor action that isn't important, and I try to do that as often as I can without making the story confusing to the observer.
7-AMANDA CONNER - Perhaps one of my largest current influences. Each drawing she does has personality in it and you know its her. Its what I try to do as well.
8-TERRY MOORE - Hard to deny his influence on me early on.
9-ADRIAN TOMINE - Someone I discovered early on and my work was compared to it. I had to check him out. And after reading his OPTIC NERVE, I totally see it. There's a deepness to his stories that I completely strive for in my own work. The under layer of what a story is REALLY about. And the little moments of life that distract you from the big picture.
10-RYAN OTTLEY - Someone who I am looking at alot recently. If only I could master HANDS like he has. Damn!
11-PHILLIP BOND - A definite influence of my early work on PLEASANT LIFE and such. Cartoony European and beautiful to look at.
12-AARON WARNER - My first major influence. Seeing this guy's work made me want to do comics.
13-MIKE WIERINGO - I love love love love love this guy's work. He's exactly what I would do if I were drawing for the big boys, if only he didn't rock it so hard first. I love the playful energy in all his work. I was crushed when he left us. I wish I could have met him.

PEOPLE I AM LOOKING AT NOW: Adam Hughes, Alex Nino, Stuart Immonen, Brian Stelfreeze, etc.

BTW-I will note that I am HUGELY influenced by music. Certain music and musicians whose creative attitudes I follow like a bible. The list of those is far too large to state. Lets just say all music. Except modern country.

________________________

The diet is still going. I fell off the wagon a bit last week, but we're back on and going strong. I'm still soda free however. I haven't weighed myself and I am scared to. I lost 9 pounds to start and I feel I might have gained some back. I'll face my fears in a bit to check. Wish me luck. We're still on the horse baby!

The bots has been picking up a fork and eating with it. He's all growns up!

I'm still plowing through commissions this week and hope to be done by Sunday and back on ANNA.

Okay, the bad news: Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to cancel my appearance at DETROIT FANFARE. I would go into why but I don't know if I can publically. Big brother watches. Lets just say it has to do with my wife's work and certain people. Its not fair and I am really pissed about it. But rest assured I will rest up and be ready for next year. I am planning on hitting MOTOR CITY, C2E2, HEROES and the DETROIT FANFARE if they roll one next year. You all should still go! There's gonna be great guests there including some close pals of mine. Also some guy named STAN LEE. The folks who run the show are great people too. Go on out and show your support. I just wish I could join you. Believe me, that weekend I'll be stuck here and pissed off beyond belief. For those wishing to see me, you can still order a book or commission through my online store HERE. I'm sorry folks. I wish I could go. I really, really do. But its out of my hands now. (sigh)

Lastly, some good news: For those going to WIZARD WORLD CHICAGO this coming week, stop by BRETT PINSON's table (BOOMTOWN PRESS) and score your copy of EXPENDABLES #3!!!!! The book premieres there and its a doozy! So if you are going, stop by there and pick up some awesome comic with great art (HEE HEE!) and spectacular wordslinging by Brett! Its better than the movie EXPENDABLES! (maybe. I dunno. Go check it out and see for yourself!) Okay, back to work!

Cheers, T

No comments: